I spoke with PFO just a few weeks back at MACNA and was informed that starting this month the all new Solaris I5 will be made in the USA. Just yesterday, Marine Depot brought the I5 to my attention again. These will cost more due to labor expense, but based on the photos alone there is […]
I spoke with PFO just a few weeks back at MACNA and was informed that starting this month the all new Solaris I5 will be made in the USA. Just yesterday, Marine Depot brought the I5 to my attention again. These will cost more due to labor expense, but based on the photos alone there is an obvious improvement in construction quality. To give you an idea of the increased cost, a 24″ I5 will run you $1568, just $78 more than the older 24″ I4 model.
UPDATE: These units are no longer available due to a pending lawsuit regarding patent infringement. For more information please see: Orbital Technologies Hurting PFO and Aquarium Industry – Are LEDs Even an Option?
Moving to the USA should remedy some of the quality control issues of the G, H, and I4s suffered and hopefully make LED a viable option for reef aquarium lighting. We’re looking forward to PAR numbers and independent reviews.
Via PFO, here are the main changes and improvements from the previous Chinese made models:
- Made in USA with LEDs produced from Phillips Lumileds that are manufactured in Malaysia.
- LEDS were changed from 25 K2 driven at 1000ma to 30 Rebels driven at 800 ma.
- Drive circuit has been changed to monitor and control both current and voltage. (Patent Pending).
- Power Supply Manufacturer has been changed and installed in a larger enclosure and drives at 24V DC.
- All Chinese hand soldered control board, distribution boards, and LED boards have been changed to surface mount machine wave soldered in USA.
- All mounting hardware has been changed to black oxide covered Stainless Steel.
- Fan Guards are now cut into end plates for a better look and eliminate rust potential.
- LCD display has been updated and has a blue background.
- All wiring is contained in internal wire holder.
- Acrylic Lens is designed for easy removal for cleaning.
- USA designed packaging for UPS approved shipping.
- All units are UPC labeled.
- All circuit boards have latching quick disconnects for easy assembly and secure connections when shipping.
- 100% testing and burn in for 48 hours.
Photos via F3 – Marine Depot Blog.